Saturday, July 28, 2012

I Am, A Volunteer

I've tried to let this go, and let it roll right off my shoulders. However, I am no good at doing that.  YES I do have a tendancy to take things personally, but that's just how I've always been.  There are sometimes in life where it just happens and some things, are for good reason.

My name is Mahala.  I'm 27 (ok nearly 28) years old.  I'm a mom to three amazing children.  Kamilah age 4 (almost 5), and twin sons Marshall and Keegan (age 3).  I have lived in Moberly, MO since 2003, I moved here after graduating from high school. Some of you might know me from Kentucky Fried Chicken where I worked for 5 years. I have 2 dogs Molly who is 18 months old and Molly who is 2 years old.  I also currently have a foster puppy named Kolbi who is roughly around 10 weeks old.  And I recently fostered a yorkie named Katie. All of my dogs?  Were rescued.  Rescued dogs, are my favorite.  I've never boughten a dog from a breeder or pet shop.  I also have 2 kittens, a tabby manx named Tobi, who is probably 12-14 weeks old now, and another tabby (with a tail) named Severus who is around probably 10-12 weeks old, maybe.  At one point I was fostering 7 kittens.  Hand feeding 2 of them. 
Two of my 7 foster kittens I had during the spring.

My twin sons with our dogs Karmen and Molly They are
the best of buddies

My daughter with our two kittens in her arms, and our dogs
Molly and Karmen looking at her.

My daughter has a special way with dogs!

A litle Yorkie we recently fostered, her name is Katie. 
She has a wonderful Fur Ever home, and
our little kitten Tobi (they were buddies) Tobi
was one of my 7 foster kittens over the spring.

Kolbi my current foster pup.  She's so sweet and funny! Gonna be hard to give her up.

Severus, one of our other kittens, he was also one of our foster kittens over the spring.

Karmen and Kolbi

Katie lounging about
I have always had a huge soft spot for animals.  I was that girl living in a small country town, who ran around rescuing all the baby birds that fell out of trees.  I rescued baby bunnies who the mama bunny had been killed.  Nursing kittens by hand that had been abandoned by their mama's, helping hurt dogs, and helping any animal in need.  There was never a shortage of animals at my house.  I'm from a long line of animals lovers.  To be honest, I usually like animals a lot more than I like some people. 

There are two things in this world that I am INCREDIBLY passionate about.  One is Childhood Cancer (as my son Keegan was diagnosed with this at 3 months old).  The other?  Is ANIMALS.  I love animals. 

I hate to see animals in pain.  I hate to see them in shelters.  

Around a year ago I met a lady, her name is Jody.  She's an amazing woman that I very much admire.  A little dog, wandered up into my yard one day while my kids and I were outside playing.  He instantly melted my heart reminding me of a dog I had when I was growing up. 

We already had Molly at this time, she was a year old.  We thought Molly needed a friend.  So we wanted to keep the little guy that we named Dodger, but we hung on to him for a few days and tried unsuccessfully to find if he had owners. 

Dodger for some reason or another hated my husband (who absolutley LOVED the dog).  Dodger wouldn't let my husband move.  If my husband moved a centimeter this sweet little dog went off on my husband.  It was very nerve wracking and we tried a million different things to get him to not do this.  To no avail.

I had met Jody briefly a year before, she was at the Rail Road Days carnival downtown with a little booth sat up with info on Neutering/Spaying your pets and adopting dogs from shelters.  We had spoke because I was looking for info on assistance on getting your pet spayed (we wanted to make sure Molly was spayed and didn't ever have puppies I knew how very important it is!  But with 3 kids sometimes big costs like that, can be expensive.  Doesn't mean you don't love your pet or don't care for it, but just like any other medical cost, it can be expensive.  And sometimes you need a little help paying for it). 

So when we found Dodger she saw my messages around on different sites, just trying to find his owners.  We emailed back and forth.  Finally I called her in tears.  Our nerves were shot from trying to help Dodger over come whatever issue he had with my husband (poor dog was fine with everyone else, but not my husband and we have no idea why dogs normally love my husband). 

So Jody being the total sweet hear that she is, she came and got Dodger. She spoiled him rotten until she found him the PERFECT Fur Ever home.  I had taken several photos of Dodger, trying to help him find owners, if he already had them.  I had friended Jody on Facebook, and she saw my photos I posted of Dodger, and photos that I always took of my kids.

One day she asked me to do something wonderful.  Something that changed my life, and ultimately the dogs of MANY MANY dogs, and something that I pray will CONTINUE to enrich my life and save the lives of many more dogs in the future!


Jody asked me to come out to her friend Dee's house and photograph some little foster dogs she has.  Dee is another amazing woman  I admire.  She and her husband are the owners of K9 Kountry Klub.  They groom dogs, and offer kenneless boarding for your dogs when you have to go out of town. 
I met some amazing dogs that first day.   I was scared.  I didn't know if I'd be good enough to help these dogs.  I'm not a professional photographer.  I don't have a fancy camera.  My only "experience" is photographing my children from the moment they were born, and taking photos of friends/family that would allow me to use them as guinea pigs.  I'd taken a few decent photos of my own dogs.  I had neve done anything to this magnitude.  I felt like I had a huge expectation to live up to. 

I remember those first dogs I photographed!

Senor Fuzzy Buns, who had been pulled from the local shelter where he had been picked up as a stray, and he had issues with his back legs.  I enjoyed photographing that very photogenic dog! It wasn't long afterwards that he went all the way to Wisconsin to live in his FUR EVER HOME.  And his photo, helped get him there.

There was Gracie, a beautiful young lab puppy.  I had brought my daughter with me that day too, she is my "assistant" and she has always had a strong connection with dogs.  Gracie was just having so much fun chewing on my daughter and playing with her.  Gracie was a bit head strong and stubborn, but she was only a puppy.  She needed love and affection and training.  Today, Gracie is living with a wonderful family that I personally helped place Gracie with.  Gracie is living with the speech therapist that works with my sons, and her family LOVES Gracie.  She is very much a part of their family. 

Little Buddy was a little wire hair terrier I photographed who had also been pulled from the shelter.  He was a bit of a challenge to place in a fur ever home LOL But we finally got him just the perfect one! Sadly, poor little Buddy darted out of his house one day directly into the path of an oncoming car.  We were all very heart broken to hear of his passing.  He will always be rememebred.

Miss Tuti was also a rescue from the local animal shelter.  She was an owner surrender, her mama had to give her up, she had to move out of state to care for very ill parents, and she had no one to take Tuti for her.  It broke this woman's heart to give up her baby girl.  She could in no way take the dog with her, she was stuck  giving up her dogs.  We couldn't bare to see Tuti at the shelter so we brought her to Dee's.  She took awhile to get placed in a fantastic home, we saw her come back a few times, but we never ever ever gave up on Tuti.  We finally found her the right Fur Ever home a couple of weeks ago, and by all accounts, she is a happy spoiled little lady. 

Those dogs were the first ones I ever photographed. 

Shortly after, Jody asked me if I would be interested in  going to the shelter with her and photographing the dogs there.  Well luck would have it that we ended up there to pick up another small dog they were pulling from the shelter to go into a foster home. And while I was there, I nervously photographed the dogs there. They were nothing fancy.  I again, felt like I had high expectations to live up to! But I am glad I am here and glad I am helping. I realized the only expectations I have that are "too high" are my own! I want to make sure everything is just perfect.  

But two of my favorite loves came together.  Taking pictures, and working with animals. 

Two of the first dogs I photographed at the shelter, were Gracie (not the same Gracie that our speech therapist adopted) and Addie who are now graduates of the HOUNDS Program! They will also be going to the Dog Days of Summer Adoption Event in Columbia, MO on July 29th from 9am-2pm (come on out and meet them!) I'm so proud of those girls! Addie sure has grown since I photographed her originally!

I have been volunteering to photograph dogs since some time late March/early April.  On May 10th I created the Moberly, MO Animal Shelter Facebook page with the go ahead from the heads of the shelter.  Ran on a volunteer basis for the shelter.

Up until now, dogs at the shelter had not been networked very well, if at all.  Bobbi, the previous animal control officer who was with the shelter for almost a year, she was wonderful and bless her heart was trying her best to keep dogs from dying.  But she was the only ACO.  So she could only do so much.

Bobbi left us, and we miss her dearly, but we know she's got big plans for her future! I enjoyed getting to know Bobbi at the shelter while I was there photographing dogs. 

Tina, is the new ACO (That's animal control officer for anyone who doesn't know shelter talk).  Tina is doing a fantastic job, and we are very much enjoying working with her.  She loves these dogs and wants them to be sent to rescue groups, and adopted out, and put in fosters.  She doesn't want to see them sit in the shelter.  NONE of us want to see any of the dogs gassed.

That is the most heart breaking thing to ever have happen. 

I can honestly tell you, that when/if a dog IS gassed it deeply affects us.  We cry.  I know I personally, am devastated.  I feel like I have failed the dogs when one has to die. I don't just walk into the shelter emotionless and snap a few "whatever" photos and leave.

I KNOW these dogs.

I go in every Friday morning along with my 4 year old daughter, and many other wonderful volunteers of various ages from around the community, and we get to KNOW these dogs. 
We worry about these dogs.
We LOVE these dogs.
We get angry about the circumstances that these dogs were brought to the shelter in, we cry happy tears wheneve a dog gets adopted or sent to a rescue.  We are crushed when we hear one died.

We had parvo go through the shelter really bad a month or so ago, and we lost nearly EVERY.  SINGLE.  PUPPY.  It was devastating.  Soul crushing. 
There had been a few dogs that narrowly escaped death, they went to a rescue group just days prior to every pup getting ill.  But sadly, they couldn't take them all. 

Freckles, was the ONLY surviving puppy from all of this. She had been the only one that had not shown any symptoms so we thought she would be fine, but she was pulled from the shelter and into foster care, just in case.  Unfortunately, a few days later she started showing symptoms of parvo.  Thanks to so many wonderful donations from people all over Freckles was saved! Freckles is currently in the HOUNDS Training program! I'm so thrilled for her! She's a beautiful girl, so smart and friendly and loves water and being in the country.  We were so over the moon happy that she survived.  We wish we had been able to save them all.


Our shelter doesn't have a ton of money.  We don't charge huge adoption fee's.  People in our area couldn't afford a huge adoption fee anyway.  If we can't adopt dogs out....then more dogs die.  And we do not want that.

Puppies that come into the shelter receive a wormer and parvo shots.  Older dogs, unfortunately receive no vetting unless they come in, and are in bad shape.  Now, if they are one of the lucky dogs that meet all the qualifications to be in the HOUNDS Training Program, then they are spayed, up to date on shots, and on heart worm prevention meds.  They have $120 adoption fee that covers all of that. We have to work very hard to make sure these dogs are adopted out, and go to very good homes. 

I spend a great deal of my time editing photos of dogs.  Infact when I get home on Friday's after volunteering at the shelter, I feed my kids lunch and put them down for a nap and then I head right in to preparing the photos to post them with the bios for each dog so they can start getting networked. 

Our shelter can be empty one day, and fill up in the next few days.  That's why we have to work so hard to keep dogs moving out all the time into rescues or foster or our ultimate goal FUR EVER homes.  When you adopt a dog from the shelter, you save 2 dogs lives at that moment.  The one you adopted, and the one you just made room for.

I love people who are REPEAT adopters from the shelter.  They make my heart sing! They have no idea how much I love them for coming and adopting ONE dog let alone 2 or 3 more later on down the road.  There is a sweet girl, Caitlyn, who comes to volunteer at the shelter.  She is there every week, and she is only a Junior in high school.  She came out one day when a beautiful boy named Duke was there.  He had been there for a day or two, and she just instantly clicked with him.  After talking to her mom, it was a go that she could bring this gorgeous boy home.   A few weeks later a shitzu came in, that had seen better days.  He was a mess.  He's a senior dog, doesn't get around so well, and just was not the ideal "adoptable" dog.  We were all very distraught over what this poor boys future might have in store.
This is Captain Melman.  He was in pretty rough shape when he came in.
We all feared for him and wanted to get him out of the shelter.

Captain Melman was adopted by the wonderful
Caitlyn one of the shelter volunteers. She had
already adopted Duke a few weeks earlier, and
then fell in love with this guy too. 
Thank you Caitlyn for helping Melman get out of the shelter.

Handsome Duke :)

Caitlyn already had a shitzu at home as well, and her heart really went out to this poor boy.  So, again after talking to her mom, she was given the go ahead to bring this boy home too.  After making a trip to Dee's for some Grooming, Captain Melman, went to his Fur Ever home.  He has been checked over by the vet, and given his shots and is a gorgeous boy again.  He'll have a loving home for the remainder of his life.  Which I think he has several years in him still!

Annie is another repeat adopter! She's adopted pets from the shelter for several years now.  Recently she adopted a beautiful gal named Lucy. 

Lucy was at the shelter the very first time I ever went in, she was one of my first shelter dogs I photographed.  She had been found tied to the door of the shelter.  She was sad. Very depressed.  She didn't want to eat, she moped around.  She was very sad to be there, and didn't understand why she was there. 

We posted her around trying to find her a home, but she was a BIG gal.  We were concerned for her well being.  We feared she might be put down. 

Annie recognized this gal as her neighbors dog, and came to the rescue.  She prepared her home for the arrival of Lucy.  She got Lucy vetted and groomed, and WOW Lucy is not the same sad dog anymore! She's amazing and happy!

Annie wasn't done yet though, she decided her home needed ONE more baby.  Just a few weeks ago the shelter had numerous puppies.  There was one puppy, we had given the nickname Opossum too, since her face looked like that of a little opossum.  She was a DOLL.  We loved her.  She melted every heart that came in contact with her! Annie easily decided that THIS gal had to come home with her.  Opossum has lost her nickname and is now Chrissy, and is very much loved and at home!
Opossum (AKA Chrissy) is one unique puppy! You can't help
but love her! Thank you Annie for bringing her home to live
with you and your group of awesome "possom" dogs ;)

Another Volunteer, Tabitha, who shows up every Friday morning, who is expecting her OWN little bundle of joy in December, she adopted a little gal named Sissy.  Boy, was she in for a big surprise! She found out a few week after adopting Sissy, that Sissy was expecting some furry bundles of joy too! Sissy gave birth to 7 beautiful puppies a few weeks ago.  Tabitha could have brought Sissy back to the shelter the moment she found out the dog was pregnant, but she didn't.  She kept her.  Knowing there would be puppies.  6 girls and 1 little boy (of course it can NEVER be the other way around now can it?).  Nearly all of those puppies have an Elvis themed name, which is absolutely perfect.  These puppies will be available for adoption in a few more weeks, but we are working on getting them into a rescue group so they can all be spayed/neutered BEFORE being adopted out, and getting mama spayed too so no more puppy surprises! These puppies are getting a ton of love, and are doted on by their fur mama and their human mama.  They even adopted the ONE and only cat at the shelter. Cali.  Unfortunatley, Cali DID have to come back because they found out her husband was allergic to cats.  However, Cali still has a happy story! She was adopted out again a day or two later and is living the fat life. 
Tabitha is at the shelter every Friday, and she'll be having a baby
in December! She loves to come out and cuddle the dogs.  In
this photo she is snuggling up with Katie who could really use
that love and attention. 

Stories like the above ones...is WHY I do what I do.  This is WHY I volunteer at the shelter. 

Every Friday I wake up and I'm so excited, because I know I'm going to get to play with some amazing dogs and get to photograph them and spend time with other people who CARE about these dogs.  If they didn't care, they wouldn't be at the shelter every Friday. 
People who don't care about dogs and their fate, don't volunteer to help them, walk them, bathe the, brush them, spend sometimes HOURS picking ticks off of them, combing through their hair with flea combs removing fleas while the dog is in the bath.  People who do not care about dogs do not volunteer to scrub clean the kennels and repaint them.  If we didn't care we wouldn't spend our own money to buy new toys, collars and leashes for these dogs.  We wouldn't show up and walk these dogs all over the place to help them get excercise and stretch their legs from being in the kennels, if we didn't care. 
Shawnda, is at the shelter every Friday.  She paints,
and gives the dogs bathes, and walks some of our
more stubborn and strong dogs

Tina (in the green) is the animal control officer at the shelter,
and she is doing a great job! She really loves having all of the
volunteers come out to the shelter.  She gets right in there
with us and helps us bathe the dogs and walk the dogs. 
She cares about these dogs.

Look at these volunteers! They are out there nearly every Friday,
all ages volunteer out at our shelter.

Some of our senior volunteers hold and snuggle up with
some of the smaller dogs and give them some
much needed attention.

Our younger volunteers enjoy playing with any puppies and smaller dogs 

We name every dog that comes in.  We can't stand them not having names.  We make up silly and cute little conversations and stories about these dogs while we play with them.  What their lives must have been like, what these dogs are thinking, and what kind of owners they are looking for. 

I do not run the shelter. I'm simply, a volunteer.  I take the photos of the dogs, I maintain the Facebook Page and Twitter page for the shelter, and then I run my blog here where I talk about my journey's with these dogs.  I love what I do.  Most of the time.

There are moments when I'm not so happy.

Like when I woke up this morning to find a self proclaimed "animal rights activist" had posted on the wall.  Now, I have several things to say here.  And I'm saying this as an individual.  MY OWN beliefs and opinions. 

To me, an animal rights activist is not someone who sits behind a computer screen posting obnoxious posts saying the same things over and over in an unkind manner on a page.  Anyone can do that.  It takes little effort.  That is not really affective in helping animals, atleast in my mind. 

Sharing and cross posting the dogs, calling and contacting rescue groups about rescuing dogs from your local shelter, THAT is actively helping animals. THAT is animal rights. You can say all you want about the rights an animal SHOULD have.  But saying it doens't do much, SHOW it. 

Telling someone to rent a back hoe and destroy the shelters gas chamber, that isn't helpful.  It isn't as "simple" as destroying city property.  IF we were to do that, we would end up in jail, and the shelter would be destroyed, and possibly injur if not kill dogs that are there.  How would that be helpful?  Where would these dogs end up if someone just decided to bull doze down the "bad room" at the shelter?  These dogs could end up at another shelter that doesn't care like we do.  They could end up back on the streets where they could die of thirst (has anyone noticed how hot and dry Missouri has been here lately?)  These dogs atleast know that while they are at the shelter they get human interatction, a meal that comes every day at the same times, dog treats, a doggy bed to sleep in, a chance to play, they are cool (yep it's air conditioned in there for them in the summer, and heated in the winter).  They get to go on walks, they get a bath.  If they need vet care we do our best to make sure they get it. 
This mama dog and her 7 babies were pulled out from under an
abandoned house.  This mama was scared.  We worked
very hard to get mama and her very young babies out of the shelter
and into a rescue group.  I didn't see any self proclaimed
"animal rights activists" out there pulling her out
from under the porch and getting her into a rescue group.

This is Simba.  He died.  Why?  Because we couldn't get him
into a rescue group. The shelter got very full, very quick, and he Simba
was displaying kennel aggression.  He had been at the shelter for quite
some time, we just couldn't get him out quick enough.  I feel like
I personally have absolutely failed this boy.  He was gorgeous. 
I promised him I would do my very best to get him out. 
He didn't make it out alive.  We were all crushed. 
I didn't see any self proclaimed "animal rights activists" coming
to his aid when we posted him  and posted him.

This is Ashley, one of the several puppies we
lost to parvo at the shelter several weeks back. 
We couldn't get them out quick enough. 
It was one of the biggest periods at the shelter,
puppy season.
We couldn't get them out fast enough, and
they got sick really quick. And died.

Another loss to Parvo :(

And yet another loss to parvo

And another loss

And another loss

Again.  Where were the self proclaimed animal rights people to help these puppies when we were trying to get them out?

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you rent a bull dozer and take it down.  If the volunteers ended up in jail, who would care for these dogs on volunteer day? Would those self procclaimed gungho animal rights activists come out to the shelter and do all we do for those dogs? I doubt it.  There is only one Animal Control Officer.  Tina can't walk and bathe all these dogs on her own.  Tina has a lot on her plate, and she needs help from volunteers like myself and ALL OF YOU. It's easy to talk a good talk about how you are an animal rights activist and to rant and rave about how much you hate something and want it to end and tell people how you call your legislaturs and picket the state capitol and all, and while yah you may do that, and it's appreciated, you still need to get to the shelters and HELP them physically.   

To everyone who says that people who work at kill shelters or volunteers at kill shelters, that they are monsters....look in the mirror. 

Your negative comments are not helping these dogs at all.  By telling people YOU won't help a kill shelter, or YOU won't adopt a pet from a kill shelter, and you don't think others should either, what do you think happens to those dogs you are neglecting and ignoring in your call to end kill shelters?  You care causing them to die.  By NOT adopting dogs from kill shelters you are signing their death warrant.  If you want to END kill shelters how about you help us keep the dogs OUT of the kill shelters.  Encourage people to spay and neuter their pets, HELP THEM spay and neuter their pets.  Encourage people to foster dogs from kill shelters, encourage them to adopt animals from kill shelters.  Encourage rescue groups to step in and help out more kill shelters.  Get those dogs to safety.  If you don't, they will pile up and pile up and pile up in the shelter.  What do you think will happen to a shelter that is too funn and they can't get dogs adopted out?  Do you think they magically go away?  Do you think the shelter magically grows new kennels so all of the dogs will fit?  That dog food is never ending?  If you think the problem will go away like this, you are mistaken.

I hate the thought of kill shelters.  I hate gas chambers.  Horrible awful way for an animal to die.  I would LOVE with everything in my heart for our shelter to become NO KILL.  And I am NOT the only one who hates the kill shelters.  Every single volunteer that comes, knows the shelter is a kill facility, that dogs can be gassed. They show up because they do NOT want this to happen.  They show up because they want to MAKE A DIFFERENCE.  They sign petitions that come out to ban kill shelters, they too have called and written legislators asking for them to make Missouri a NO KILL state. 
This boy was in VERY big danger of being gassed. 
We did NOT want to see him die.  EVERYONE
at the shelter, volunteers and ACO alike pulled together and
did everything we could, and guess what?
This boy is ENJOYING life because we kept at it,
we didn't give up on Ryder.  We didn't just
see him as another #.  We saw him as an individual dog
worthy of TIME and LOVE.  We contacted many different
rescue groups, and he is living a great life now, thanks to
ALL of the work of our VERY active volunteers! Where
were you other "animal rights activists" when we were
desperately trying to help this guy?

Bruce, was another one that was in danger of being put down.
Again, we worked around the clock to find a rescue group that would take
him.  And we did.  The same group that took Ryder, took Bruce too.  Today BOTH BOYS
are doing FANTASTIC thanks to a great rescue group in Illinois!
THANK YOU GUYS for stepping up and helping us as we tried to
help these boys! It takes TEAM WORK from EVERYONE to save lives!
Spirit is a beautiful pitt that ended up at the shelter for quite some time.
She finally found her FUR EVER home!

But we are doing MORE than that too.  We're being active. 

Where are animal rights activists when our local shelter
does a fundraiser like the dog show they did over
this years Rail Road Days Carnival?  Where the money raised
went to help the shelter and dogs in the HOUNDS program.
Where dogs like this 3 legged beauty won.  Are you there
helping us plan fundraisers to help our shelter?  Are you
out there raising funds FOR our shelter?
How are YOU actively helping dogs in the shelter?  An "activist" needs to be ACTIVELY helping dogs in shelters, ESPECIALLY kill facilities.  If you are against kill facilities, why aren't you IN those places working one on one with those dogs and the ACO trying to get the dogs out?  Where are you?  Why aren't you raising funds for the small town facilities. 
This dog could have used your help

This dog could have used your help as well.

It can cost anywhere from $30-$80 to humanely euthenize a dog.  If you have 3 or so dogs that you "need" to put down, that's a lot for a small town shelter to fork out.  We barely can get the funds sometimes for dogs to go to the HOUNDS Training Progams!

That's where YOU the community comes in.  We don't hide the fact that it's a kill shelter, that dogs can get gassed.  We use that to motivate people.  Get OUT HERE and HELP the dogs, so we don't have to kill any. We do NOT want them to die.

Yes, there are some shelters who don't seem to care, that seem to be kill happy. 

We aren't one of them.

WE DO care about the dogs. 

We have had around 20 volunteers show up some days to work with the dogs! Do you know how amazing that is? And these are volunteers ranging in age 3 to 70 something!  Everyone is welcome, we have something you  can all do. There are several high school students who come out and help and we greatly appreciate them.  They get out there and the dogs up and down the big hill by the shelter, and all around the big grassy field. They wear these dogs OUT.  They get them what they need, some good excercise! The older volunteers love to sit and pet and love on these dogs.  The dogs need that.  They need people to pet them and love them and show them kindness.  The children, love to play with the puppies and smaller dogs.  It teaches the children how to have compassion for a smaller creature that cannot help itself, and it teaches the puppies and smaller dogs how to behave around children.  We get to see how these dogs react around kids, teens, other dogs, older people and it really helps.  It helps us get to know the dog and help tell more about them.  That helps rescues and adopters too!

Most small town shelters are just simply doing the best with what they have.  If you have little support and no volunteers, you aren't going to be able to do too much. 

Our shelter was in that boat once.

We now have more support, and more volunteers. People who care.  We appreciate that so very much.  You are saving furry little lives and that means a lot.  That is good for the dogs and good for you!  Knowing that you are making a difference in the lives of another, whether it be a person or a dog, that makes your heart smile and your soul shine.  Save a life!

My point of all of this is, YES I'm going to take things like someome coming on to the shelter page and saying how we're monsters and that we don't care and that we like to see dogs die, I'm going to take that personally.  Because NO I do NOT like to see dogs die.  YES I know gassing a dog is a horrible way to die.  But, I am JUST a volunteer.  I am doing everything in MY power to help the dogs at our shelter. 

If you are going to call your self an animal rights activist, the least you can do is go to a kill shelter and help the dogs by fostering them, adopting them, or helping transport them to a rescue group.  Sponsor a dog or two and get them spayed or neutered, and up to date on shots.  Help us network the dogs so we can get them "out there" so we can get them OUT of here! Don't just sit behind your computer telling us how awful we are when you do NOT know any of us.  You've never helepd our shelter, and you swear you won't help our shelter.  You aren't being an animal rights activist, you are being a jerk. 

I know I can talk until I'm blue in the face and people like this will never change their mind but I feel it's something that needs to be said.  And this doesn't just go out to all animal rights "activists" I know MANY who treat shelters with respect and know what things they are facing and who are IN THERE trying to HELP the situation from the inside while they also work from the oustide.  This is to the "activists" who actively shout at us through facebook telling us how awful we are when they don't have a clue WHO we are or WHAT we do, and hasn't offered once to lend a helping hand.  Even animals in a kill facility have "rights" and we're actively trying to help them at our shelter.  Where are YOU? If you are going to complain about an animal shelter, how about you show up on a volunteer day or organize a volunteer day and go help your local shelter, there is a LOT you can do to help! This is only aimed at those who bash and go on about a shelter they know nothing about.  That call themselves an animal rights activist and then ignore the dogs that are in a shelter they don't "like" So this post wasn't meant for 90% of you.  To that other 10%, get up and do something to help.

I am a volunteer.  I help my shelter.  I help save dogs.  What do YOU do?

Mahala Dixson
Moberly, MO Animal Shelter Volunteer
Photographing dogs and
Running the Social Media for these dogs to
help them get adopted.

No comments:

Post a Comment