Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Making Memories

Memories.  That's what photos are, memories frozen in time to for ever remember.  Of a time, a place, people, events.  Photos that can last a life time, that can be passed on to your chidren, and their chidren and so on.  Showing them what life was like for you when you were younger.  Sharing a piece of yourself with someone else through a photo.

I wish I had more photos from when I was younger but unfortunately I do not.  I do not have nearly as many photos of my father as I wish I had but the photos I do have of him I cherish.  My dad passed away when I was only two.  So I have no memories of him other than the photos I have.

I do not have very many photos of my Mother when she was a young woman either.  Actually, I have very few photos of her at all as she hates having her picture taken.  So whether she likes it or not, she gets her picture taken whenever I am around here.  I want/need those photos of her for myself and my children and future grandchildren.  I have maybe one or two photos of my own Grandmother and that woman meant the world to me, I just wish I had more photos of her so I could show my children what their Great Grandmother looked like.  They would have loved her, and she would have loved them.  My little sister was young when our Grandmother passed away and they were very close too, I know photos of our Grandmother would have meant the world to her, but again, my Grandmother wasn't fond of having her picture taken either.

I am not afraid to have my picture taken, good day or bad day I don't really care.  I want my kids to have photos of their Mom and their Dad.  Photos of us together from the time we got together and as we get older.  I want our kids to see the fun their dad and I had together, that we weren't just dull people who had no life before or after children.  Far from it.  Infact, life has gotten MORE interesting since having children.  Many of my best memories have been since my husband and I got married, and we've been together since 2001 when we were Juniors in High School.

I try to make sure my kids have photos taken with my husband and I together and seperately.  I love those funny little candid shots with my children the best, when we are all snuggled up on the couch and my husband grabs the camera and gets a sweet and silly photo of us all.  Whether we're in our jammies totally bumming it for the day with our hair a mess or whatever, those are some of the most loved photos of mine.  Us at our most comfortable. Just being a family and loving life in that exact moment. 

That's why I'm not OVERLY fond of generic studio photos.  Not saying there is anything WRONG with taking your family or child to Wal Mart or wherever else you can go to take pictures.  I have plenty of those generic studio photos and I love them too, infact one of my favorite family photos on the wall was taken at Wal Mart.  However, my OTHER favorite family photo was taken by a local photographer in town, whom I love and admire (Fairfeather Studios).  Both photos are good, and catch our family for who we are, in all of our silliness and chaoticness that is life with 3 young kids. If I had to choose, I'd choose to go with a local private photographer over a studio portrait hands down any day. 

Tonight my husband and I got the oppurtunity to go on a date night, which is something we VERY rarely get to do.  It's hard to find a babysitter sometimes. For some reason people tend to freak out when they hear the word "we have twin boys and they have an older sister"  Our twins are pretty good little boys (for other people anyway!) Truth is, we just don't get out much.  Unfortunately over the past four years as we've dealt with Keegan's cancer we've become home bodies which is something I've never been before.  I've never been one to just stay at home and going on date nights is something that was always important to my husband and I.  Not anything big and huge, generally just dinner or a movie.  Priorities change though when you have a sick child.  Usually our anniversary is the only time we go out, however the past 2 anniversaries we haven't done anything. 

A couple of good friends of ours invited us out with them tonight, and they arranged a babysitter for us (YAY!) someone was brave enough to watch the kids for a little over an hour.  Can we say MIRACLE?

We had a good time at the local Chinese resturaunt.  It felt good to laugh and have "grown up" conversations and just feel like our old selves again.  Not having to worry, for atleast an hour if someone needed to go to the potty, or wanted help getting more food, or making sure no one spilled a drink or dribbled sauce down their shirt. No having to "monitor" conversations for little ears.  We were able to laugh and talk and just have FUN.  It was great to have that stress free time with my husband.

I didn't feel guilty in the slightest.  I enjoyed every minute out with my husband and our friends.

It's good to have those memories of the laughter and fun had with friends.  Children can tell when their parents are happy, and it's good for them to be able to look back and see photos of those happy parents, atleast I think so anyway!

I encourage people to step out from behind the camera, stop hiding from the camera.  Just get in there and have your picture.  Flash your smile, let your kids and future grandkids see how you loved life and embraced it with all of its ups and downs.  Don't let a few blemishes, a few extra pounds, a bad hair day get in the way of you making memories with your family. 

Thanks to my friends for a fun night out with my husband.  We may have only went out to dinner, but it was a wonderful memory. 

My goofy husband and I out together sitting at our favorite resturaunt. 
He and I have been together since we were Juniors in high school,
we married in 2006 at the age of 22. He's always made me laugh
and I love him for that! He never fails to put a smile on
my face.   

Rocking my new hair cut :)  As I was walking out the door
tonight giving my kids all hugs and kisses
my very sweet little boys gave me
big big hugs and said "Mommy you like pretty" 
Awww melted my heart :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment